Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Bye Bye Blake...

Last night we made the decision to put Blake down... For the last year, he's had a reoccuring abscess that totally consumes his whole abdomen and puts him in a lot of pain. After a vet visit yesterday, the decision was to pay a lot of money for surgery to maybe fix the problem (a few drains throughout his abdomen) or to put him down. I love my dogs to death, but can't see paying hundreds of dollars for something to "maybe" work. We took Blake home after a shot of antibiotics and pain killer to decide on what we were going to do. After about 2 hours of the pain killer not working, Sam and I couldn't take Blake being in pain anymore...the poor dog couldn't even sit or lay down, so we had him put to sleep. That was such a hard thing to do. Sam stayed with Blake and watched while I took Beckett. As the door closed, Sam told Beckett to tell Blake goodbye and Beckett asked, "Blake going Mommy?" That's when I lost it...Beckett stood there and said "bye Blake." I can't believe how emotionally attached I could be to an animal! As stinky, oily, drooly, and dirty as he was, I will miss him LOTS! He was seriously the nicest 145 lbs. dog that I have ever met. At least I know that he's not suffering anymore.

Here's to 4 awesome years with Blake!




4 comments:

Manu Family said...

oh man that is just too sad... so sorry for your loss... it is so weird I was just looking at pics on monday of Josiah and blake when we did the walk for CF ... we put josiah like right up to his face and took a pic.... love the pictures you put up..!!!!

The Bertagnoles said...

So sad! I don't even like dogs, and your post makes me like Blake! :( Im so sorry!

Amanda said...

I'm so sorry, I know he was a part of the family.

Shauna said...

Man, I still can't believe it. That is so sad. At least you had some great moments and memories with him. There is nothing like a companion like him. What cute pictures of him